Wednesday, February 26, 2014
One for the books...
I thought id write a little post about today. It was the first day of co visit and Natalia (American sister) and I got to work together for first time, usually we work with a local that speaks jula. It was so nice, we were with 8 brothers including the co. So off we went to the doors, Natalia struggling in jula and me just sitting there trying to explain why I don't speak jula yet. Lol it was quite fun. The we came to the next door/house which was situated a bit diffrent from the others but like normal there were two woman washing clothes in tubs and children playing in courtyard, everything seemed normal. Then we see that the men are sitting to the back of courtyard, and as it's customary to talk to head of house, Natalia and I head to back to speak to the men. We kinda look at each other with a look of "this should be fun" as there were five men and all in complete muslum attire. It was my turn so I just jumped right in to my presentation that consisted of explaining ps 83:18 and why we are called jws. Only two men spoke fluent French so they did most of talking. We though it was a bit weird that they somehow went from taking about name of god to the woman's role in life (to stay at home and clean/cook). But we tried to reason with them, but they really weren't interested in what the bible said about women. So after about 20 mins of them lecturing us, we politely try to leave, and in the 10 mins it took for us to leave they explained that we had no right to be talking to them and they asked if I would wear a head coving the next time I try to preach. (As Natalia was wearing a hat for the sun) I just smiled and we apologized for any offense that we may have caused. They said they weren't offended at all and were very nice when we left. So then we were off to find the rest of group who with co who was waiting under amango tree for us so we could all continue. The brothers asked where we were, we told them what house we were at and they said they passed it over because it was a mosque! So we, two women went into a mosque and tried to preach to the imams! Ha! It all seemed to make sense after that, they didn't like women coming to mosque to preach the bible...especially with out a head covering! So needless to say we were able to provide some great entertainment for the local brothers. And they took all of the men for the rest of morning....you live and you learn. (Thankfully we had a get out of jail free card...being American)
No comments:
Post a Comment